Monday, October 18, 2010

A Little Art & A Whole Lot of Life

Yes it's been three weeks since my very first blog.  Yes I know I'm supposed to be blogging at least once a week, but what can I say - life happened . . .


The excitement began with a visit from Dad and Mom Tew.  I had made a request for a bookcase for my many, many books (11 boxes of books to be exact).  I thought this a simple request because Steve's daddy has quite the workshop with all kinds of gadgets, and that put together with his talent and drive for perfectionism always produces something amazing.  Well - all I can say is that my mouth fell open and my eyes teared-up when the final product was installed in our Master Bedroom.  Talent indeed!  A piece that will always be cherished because it was made with loving hands and many hours of hard work - a reminder to me of the man Steve calls Daddy!


Step one of installation -

Six large pieces and many small
ones brought from
Millry, AL.

 

Step two of installation -

Paint and more paint.
Step three of installation -

Doors, hinges & hardware. 
A masterpiece is born!

And of course, Steve "needs" a larger flat screen tv.








These three weeks have also brought our first family 5k in the Susan G. Komer Race for the Cure, my nephew's wedding and celebrated events, our very own Elizabeth's 13th Birthday, and an unexpected eye surgery for my niece for a retinal detachment.

Steve, Emme and Elizabeth ready to line up.

With my niece, Laura. We were apart of Team Lakeshore Foundation.

We made it!  When's the next one?!?




And may I introduce, Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Diamond!  Welcome to the family Meli!


With family in town for the wedding - a birthday brunch was in order! 
A celebration with friends to come . . .

Elizabeth's birthday meal of choice was French Toast!

Birthday girl & Daisy, along with Emme and Ethan.


Elizabeth with her Memudder and PeePaw.
We are very grateful their health allowed them to make the trip.

And of course, cake and candles!
Happy Birthday my Sweet!



A little bit of comfort food for Courtney who had unexpected surgery for a retinal detachment.  She is doing well and recovering at home, having to lie on her right side for the next two weeks.

Potato Cheddar Soup

3 cups water
3 cups red potatoes, cut into cubes
3 tbs butter
1 onion, finely chopped
3 tbs all-purpose flour
Red and ground black pepper to taste
3 cups milk
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked ham

Bring water to a boil in medium stock pot.  Add potatoes and cook until tender.  Drain, reserving 2 cups liquid.  Melt butter in pot over medium heat.  Add onion; cook and stir until tender but not brown.  Add flour; season with red and black pepper.  Cook 3 to 4 minutes.  Gradually add potatoes, reserved liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture; stir well.  Add cheese and ham.  Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.  Do not boil.

To serve, you may add extra shredded cheese, chopped green onion, and/or crumbled cooked bacon.  Makes 6 - 8 servings.










Spring Mix & Apple Salad



Organic Spring Mix Lettuce
Red Delicious Apple - thinly sliced
Gala Apple - thinly sliced
Chopped Walnuts
Dried Cranberries
Feta Cheese
Red Onion - thinly sliced

Toss all ingredients together.  Great with Ken's Lite Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette or Ken's Creamy Balsamic Dressing.








Yes - life happens.  I count it all blessings.
And - yes, I promise my next blog will include a new painting I'm working on!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! The bookcase looks amazing, and I will most definitely be making this soup. Yum! Looking forward to seeing some artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful bookcase and a blessing to have such handy men around! Let me know if Steve would be interested in selling me that tiny flat screen so he can buy himself a newer bigger one. :)

    And that soup looks delicious, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete